DUE TO ISSUES WITH GOOGLE PHOTOS ALL IMAGES AFTER AUGUST 2015 ARE NOT SHOWING, I AM TRYING TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO GET THIS WORKING!

Thursday, April 10, 2014

small 8 jack network

What's the first thing that we do when we go to a business location that has FiOS installed? That's right, get rid of that crappy router that they install and replace it with a real router!

This customer just moved into a new location and I had to install network jacks for 4 desks. 1 jack for computers, and 1 for the IP phones that I had to install. 

Instead of a patch panel due to the small amount of jacks
and attempts to maximize useable space in the closet
I used 1 gang surface mount boxes.

While I was doing the wiring I decided to unplug the power to the crappy router that Verizon provides hoping that the IP address would release in the time it took me to finish the wiring and get to installing the new router. Happily this method worked, so I did not need to spend any time waiting on hold with Verizon to get them to release the IP address so I could replace the router!

Everything mounted inside a closet directly next to the FiOS ONT.
Installed
16 port TPlink switch
E2500 router
Surge protector 
Once the wiring was installed, tested and labeled I mounted a 16 port TPlink switch, a Cisco E2500 and a surge protector (power came in on the oppisite side of the closet wall so I had to drill a hole to get the plug connected on the other side of the wall.)

I Wish whoever designed the E series of routers for Cisco would have had some common sense or real world experience installing networks as there is no good way to wall mount this router. I used long screws and fender washers to mount it. 

Start to finish was aprox. 3 hours: Running 2 CAT5 wires to 4 different locations, punching down testing and labeling, installing the router and switch, installing the phones AND activating the FiOS since the customer had not yet done so.


No comments:

Post a Comment