DUE TO ISSUES WITH GOOGLE PHOTOS ALL IMAGES AFTER AUGUST 2015 ARE NOT SHOWING, I AM TRYING TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO GET THIS WORKING!

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Doorphone + 1 wire run + switch

Recently I went down to a customer to install a few IP phones and a doorbell. Most of the time for customers that we do not do the wiring for the door bell is already wired up, sometimes with a door strike, sometimes without. 

Viking E-20B installed
This customer recently moved into the office and had someone else install all new network wiring, however this person did not prewire for the doorphone, so I had to run a wire to the basement from the door, however drilling straight down from the door frame to the basement was not possible due to the fact that the door was beyond the basement wall, over the poured concrete foundation walls. 

I brought my wire down into the door frame from my relay in the basement
so the locksmith can connect once he cuts out the door frame
and installs the latch. 
The walls the doorphone was installed was also solid, so I was unable to snake it up into the drop ceiling, so I installed a wiremold in the corner, that is barely visible as it blends into the white woodwork so well. 

The wiremolding in the corner is barely visible
as it blends in with the white woodwork.

The wires were then snaked across the drop ceiling into a closet where the wiring for the DVR ran down to the basement to the patch panel. 

This is why you should install a rack!
Whoever installed the switches should have at least mounted them on the wall.
Why a rack was not installed by the guy who ran the CAT5 cabling I don't know. The permanent CAT5 wiring was done neatly and professionally, however in front of the patch panel was a folding table where a server was installed, as well as the switches and routers.

The equipment I installed (except the existing 66 block)
SPA2102 for doorphone phone line
8 port TP link switch
Viking RC2A relay
Wire is tagged for locksmith to connect power supply for door latch.
Despite the mess that the guy who patched the switches and routers for the computer network, I still made sure to mount my ATA, relay and switch as neatly as possible onto the plywood wall. 

Installing 6 IP phones, running 1 CAT5 from 1st floor down to the basement, mounting and installing all of the other hardware took about 3 hours for me to complete, including time to show the customer how to use their new phones.

The only thing left to do now is have the locksmith cut out the frame and install the door latch as well as a power supply in the basement on the wire that I labeled for him. 



1 comment: