DUE TO ISSUES WITH GOOGLE PHOTOS ALL IMAGES AFTER AUGUST 2015 ARE NOT SHOWING, I AM TRYING TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO GET THIS WORKING!

Monday, April 28, 2014

Replacing RV016 router with an SRP series router and 16 port switch

One of our customers had a defective multi-WAN router. For some reason whenever something was connected into the WAN2 port of the router the speed would dramatically reduce, even if all of the traffic was being sent thru on the WAN1 port.

The network as it existed before I began work.

Since this customer has 2 internet connections leaving WAN2 disconnected would not work, also since we no longer use RV routers a switch would have to be added.

Since the network was a bit messy I took this opportunity to install a vertical 4 space mount on the wall.

Halfway thru.
SRP router mouted on the wall,
vertical 4 space mount installed
DSL connected to SRP router.

I removed the patch panel mount and installed it into the vertical 4 space mount, and installed my SRP router below.

Everything mounted and patched in.
In the background (black boxes and wires) is the cable modems
which I did not touch or modify the existing wiring configuration in any way.

I am really starting to like these vertical mounts and will probably be using them more frequently instead of taking up a ton of wall space mounting hardware all over the wall.

I really only *needed* a 2 space mount, but a 3 space mount would have been ideal. The reason I opted for the 4 space mount instead of a 3 space is that there was only a $5 price difference, so this provides an additional space for future expansion. I used one of the spaces to let the wires pass behind the patch panel since the wires are coming in from above.

The view from above. 16 port TP link switch patched in,
DSL modem and surge protector resting on lip of bracket. 

The job is not as neat as it would have been had I started everything from scratch, or had I been permitted to take down the entire network for a few hours. However it is much neater and more manageable then it was when I first arrived to replace the router and add the switch. 

All in all it took aprox. 3 hours because some settings had to be migrated from the old router in order for the PCs to be able to communicate with the local server. 

If I would have just changed the router and switch I probably could have gotten out of there within an hour, but I wanted to clean up some of the mess in the closet so that it will be easier to work on this network in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment