DUE TO ISSUES WITH GOOGLE PHOTOS ALL IMAGES AFTER AUGUST 2015 ARE NOT SHOWING, I AM TRYING TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO GET THIS WORKING!

Thursday, December 1, 2011

What to do with a WiFi enabled Blackberry that no longer has service.

EDIT: Seems that everything broke, strangely except for the built in browser. This is not a top priority of mine, as I have internet access on my new Android phone, and can use my Kindle Fire to browse the web while I am on the phone. I will however play around with this when I have free time, and figure out what settings need to be changed to regain as much functionality as possible. 

Since I switched over to an Android phone I no longer have active service on my Blackberry. I have been using my Blackberry on the train as my MP3 player so that I do not kill the battery on my new android phone, but it seems like just using my old Blackberry as a MP3 player is wasting the potential that this device can still do.

Unfortunately I have a CDMA version Blackberry, that means that there is no SIP software that I can install and run, so I am unaware of if any of you GSM Blackberry users can continue to use SIP softphones on your Blackberries.

What I have been able to do so far is to set the default browser as the WiFi browser by going to SETTINGS>ADVANCED OPTIONS>BROWSER then choosing HOTSPOT BROWSER as the default browser, then saving. This enabled me to access the built in browser of the phone to surf the web. For some reason it will not allow me to click on any of my bookmarks - so further testing needs to be done to determine why it is behaving this way.

Other apps that require internet to work are:
Opera browser works just fine over WiFi
Twitter continues to get updates
Google Voice app still updating (although of course you can not use the phone to make calls)

So far I have not been able to get GPS to show my location, AFAIK you should not need a cellular connection or service for GPS to work, so I will need to look into this issue further.

Funny thing of this all? I am using the WiFi hotspot feature of my android phone to power the WiFi of the Blackberry. Well at least it allows me to jump on the internet real quick with the Blackberry while I am on an active call with the Android. Yes I have tested that the hotspot still works while on an active call.

I will update as I find other uses, functionality, or modifications needed to get more use out of my old Blackberry.

1 comment:

  1. This blog post is really helpful, I love the way this post was written. Thanks for sharing this information.

    PEO Networking

    ReplyDelete