DUE TO ISSUES WITH GOOGLE PHOTOS ALL IMAGES AFTER AUGUST 2015 ARE NOT SHOWING, I AM TRYING TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO GET THIS WORKING!

Friday, April 12, 2013

Network clean-up, Overhead paging, and door phone installation.

Sometimes the simple jobs are the most complicated. This customer recently had another tech from our company come out and install the VoIP phones for the customer, but the customer required 3 door phones and an overhead paging set up.

When I first arrived, I did what I had to and got the door phones and relays set up, so that the customer could begin using our VoIP service to answer the door phones and buzz people into the office doors. Prior to doing this I had to replace the router. This took about 2 1/2 hours. It should have taken much less time to accomplish this since they had existing door phones and wiring, but their network was in complete disarray when I first arrived. 

From previous experiences, I no longer work on or leave networks in this condition, especially for new customers. So the entire network was cleaned up. Switches, and other equipment that was just sitting on a shelf with wires all bunched up were all wall mounted, and the wiring was neatened up as much as is possible with a live network during business hours. I am, as always, not 100% satisfied with the final product compared to how I would have designed it had I done it from scratch, however it impressed the customer enough to provide a gratuity, which is always appreciated, and I feel it is as neat as possible giving the circumstances. 

Unfortunately my "before" photos were not taken until after I had already mounted the new router and 3 door phone relays, however almost everything else has so far been untouched in my "before" images. 

BEFORE:
Switches and routers sitting on shelf, patch cords a complete mess!

BEFORE:
A wide angle of the mess that I had to work with.
The Cisco router to the left, and 3 black boxes top right
were installed to me prior to taking these "before images"
everything else was as found on arrival.

BEFORE

AFTER:
DVR was pushed further back onto shelf, leaving some usable space.
Power cords and DVR power supply were the only things left untouched and unmounted.

AFTER:
UTI-1 I installed for overhead paging (top left)
Cisco router with built in 4 port ATA I installed (center)
Viking night ringing module was connected to old system - untouched(top middle)
8 port switch I mounted & replaced patch cords (top right)
old existing panasonic analog phone system - untouched (bottom middle)

2 comments:

  1. I love this. I've seen very similar installations myself. I've quoted you on my own blog. http://ijnet.co.uk/a-right-mess-cleaned-up/

    Kind regards
    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. was not the messiest, nor am i completely satisfied with the end product, but i did what i could within the few hours that i was there to do my installation with minimal disruption to the network during business hours, and i did not even touch any of the power cords or wires (which is the big ball of mess on the shelf in my after images)

      Delete